The human body is constantly under attack from millions of microorganisms so it is very important that you do all you can to strengthen your immune system so it can protect the body from these attacks.
We have put together some important pointers to guide you in staying strong and healthy so you can have an immune system that functions optimally.
- Get physically active. Regular exercise can help boost your immune system, cardiovascular system, heart, muscles, and bones. Being active also boosts endorphin release, improves concentration and other mental functioning, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, and may lower cortisol and other stress hormones.
- Find ways to relax. Because stress affects the endocrine systems many different, scientists believe that immune function may be diminished by chronic stresses. There are various techniques available to help you relax, such as deep breathing or yoga, this can reduce mental and physical stress as well as lower blood pressure and slow down your heart rate.
- Sleep matters. Besides leaving you feeling sluggish, irritable and forgetful, not getting enough sleep can temporarily reduce your immune system activity by up to 50 percent. Each night, try to get seven to eight hours of sleep.
- Feed your immune system well. The immune response may be weakened by not getting enough calories and too much dietary fat. This is one of the main reasons nutritionists recommend a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains.
- Learn about interferon. Though most Americans never heard about interferon, this natural protein helps protect the body from daily exposure to millions of germs that can lead to serious infection. Enabled when an invasive virus attacks a cell, interferon signals neighboring cells into action and trigger its mechanisms of resistance. Interferon also activates other immune cells that kill pathogen invaders.
We hope you have learned some simple ways that you can use to strengthen your immune system. Be sure to leave a tip in the comments to let the others know what you do to remain strong and healthy. Stay tuned to our blog for more helpful tips that will keep you in good health.